Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- egg lecithin
- soy lecithin
- Hepatic steatosis.
- Alzheimer's dementia.
- Tardive dyskinesia.
- Improving athletic performance.
Lecithin is a phospholipid found in egg yolks, organ meats, nuts, and spinach. It contains phosphatidylcholine, which contains choline which is a precursor to acetylcholine. Lecithin also increases omega-6 fatty acid levels.
- Decreased cholesterol levels.
- As a source of choline, lecithin may improve symptoms of cholinergic diseases.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
- Egg and soy allergy.
Use Cautiously in:
Pregnancy and lactation (when using amounts greater than found in foods).
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Derm: skin reactions (in soy and egg allergic patients)
GI: diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
PO (Adults): Hypercholesterolemia –20–30 g/day. Athletic performance –3.6 g twice daily. Tardive dyskinesia– 20–50 g/day. Mania– 10 mg three times daily. Dementia– 1.2–45 g/day.
- Assess mental status and memory periodically during therapy.
Lab Test Considerations:
Monitor liver function tests prior to and periodically during therapy.
- Deficient knowledge, related to medication regimen (Patient/Family/Teaching)
- PO Administer 1 to 3 times daily.
- Instruct patient to take lecithin as directed.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
- Decrease in serum cholesterol.
- Improvement in signs and symptoms of cholinergic diseases.
Davis’s Drug Guide for Nurses App + Web from F.A. Davis and Unbound Medicine covers 5000+ trade name and generic drugs. Includes App for iPhone, iPad, and Android smartphone + tablet. Handbook covers dosage, side effects, interactions, uses. Davis Drug Guide PDF. Complete Product Information.