Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- Rosmarinus officinalis
- compass plant/weed
- polar plant
hair regrowth stimulants
- Alopecia areata.
- Inducing abortion.
Essential oil has a spasmonthlytic effect on gastrointestinal smooth muscle, positive inotropic effect on heart, and increases coronary and menstrual blood flow. Topical use irritates the skin and increases blood circulation.
- Improved hair growth.
- Menstrual flow stimulant.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
Use Cautiously in:
- Seizure disorders;
- Ingestion of undiluted essential oil can be toxic and cause significant adverse effects.
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Derm: contact dermatitis
GI: nausea, vomiting
GU: uterine bleeding
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
- ↑risk of seizures with drugs that lower seizure threshold.
- ↑risk of bleeding with antiplatelet agents or anticoagulants.
PO (Adults): 1–2 g of crude leaf/150 mL water ingested three times daily as tea .
Topical (Adults): 3 drops of rosemary oil (114 mg) in combination with other essential oils massage into scalp nightly for 2 minutes with a warm towel around head to increase absorption .
- Assess amount of alopecia prior to and periodically during therapy.
Lab Test Considerations:
Monitor blood sugar and serum electrolytes periodically during therapy.
- Deficient knowledge, related to medication regimen (Patient/Family/Teaching)
- PO Administer as directed.
- Topical Mix 3 drops of rosemary oil (114 mg) in combination with other essential oils massage into scalp nightly for 2 minutes with a warm towel around head to increase absorption.
- Instruct patient to take or use rosemary as directed.
- Caution female patients to avoid using rosemary and notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding. May lead to abortion.
Improved hair growth.