Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- acai berry
- acai extract
- acai fruit
- amazon acai
- cabbage palm
- Osteoarthritis, erectile dysfunction, weight loss and obesity, detoxification, aging skin, and metabolic syndrome.
In vitro, acai pulp and skin powder has potent antioxidant activity against superoxide and peroxyl radical. It also inhibits cyclooxygenase-1 (COX-1) and COX-2 in vitro.
Reduced total cholesterol levels.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown.
- No known contraindications.
Use Cautiously in:
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Misc: None reported.
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
PO (Adults): 100 g acai pulp twice daily for metabolic syndrome.
Acai Smoothie Pack: 100 g acai pulp
- Assess areas relevant to rationale for taking acai.
- Deficient knowledge, related to medication regimen (Patient/Family/Teaching)
- As a food, the acai berry is eaten raw and as a juice. The juice is also used commercially as a beverage and in ice cream, jelly, and liqueurs.
- Discuss with patient purpose for taking acai.
- Advise patient to notify health care professional of all Rx or OTC medications, vitamins, or herbal products being taken and to consult with health care professional before taking other medications.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
- Decrease in cholesterol.
- Evaluate based on rationale for taking acai.
To view other topics, please log in or purchase a subscription.
Davis’s Drug Guide for Nurses App + Web from F.A. Davis and Unbound Medicine covers 5000+ trade name and generic drugs. Includes App for iPhone, iPad, and Android smartphone + tablet. Handbook covers dosage, side effects, interactions, uses. Davis Drug Guide PDF. Complete Product Information.