Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- Astragali Membranaceus
- Membranous Milk Vetch
allergy, cold and cough remedies
- Common cold.
- Allergic rhinitis.
Astragalus has antioxidant effects. It inhibits free radical production, increases superoxide dismutase, and decreases lipid peroxidation. Astragalus potentiates effects of interferon, increases antibody levels of IgA and IgG in nasal secretions, and increases interleukin-2 (IL-2) levels.
Improved immune response.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown.
- No known contraindications.
Use Cautiously in:
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- May exacerbate autoimmune diseases.
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Misc: immunosuppression (with doses >28 grams/day)
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
PO: (Adults) Allergic rhinitis: 160 mg of astragalus root extract twice daily. Common cold prevention: 4–7 g per day.
Capsules: 470 mg
- Assess signs and symptoms of cold and rhinitis (congestion, runny nose, aches).
- Risk for infection (Indications)
- PO: May be taken as capsules. Also available as a tincture or fluid extract.
- Discuss purpose of astragalus with patient.
- Advise patient to notify health care professional of all Rx or OTC medications, vitamins, or herbal products being taken and to consult with health care professional before taking other medications.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
Improvement in symptoms of cold or allergic rhinitis.
Davis’s Drug Guide App + Web powered by Unbound Medicine provides up-to-date information on 5000+ trade name and generic drugs. View on the web or download App to your iPhone, iPad, or Android smartphone or tablet. Davis Drug Guide PDF. Learn more.